DIRECTOR OF LIGHTING
DIRECTOR OF LIGHTING
Founded in 2005, ChoiceLIVE has made their mark as one of the most well respected LED and Video Production companies in the nation. Specializing in the video, lighting and audio services, ChoiceLIVE has the expertise to make all types of events a success. Our technicians are the best in the field and our project management style ensures that every detail is discussed and addressed. Headquartered on the Rock Lititz campus with a second location in Los Angeles, CA, our company offers a fun and collaborative work environment.
Reports to: VP Operations
Location: Lititz, PA
We’re not just looking for a great Lighting Designer. There are great LD’s coming out of the woodwork. We’re looking for an organized leader, with department building experience, who wants to build a world-class professional division within an existing company, and happens to be a great LD.
The Director of Lighting (DOL) is an integral part of the ChoiceLIVE production team. This position is responsible for managing all aspects of the lighting department including but not limited to technicians and inventory. The DOL is responsible for the hiring & training of lighting technicians, management of internal and external vendor resources as well as meeting with clients to determine their needs, designing atmospheres and environments, conducting site visits on location, working with in-house production departments, developing floor plans, timelines, renderings, and equipment specifications to execute the clients vision. The DOL is intrinsically motivated toward personal and professional excellence while assuring clients the best possible product. The DOL maintains a positive attitude in high-pressure situations while driving the team to success. This position works hand in hand with the management team to drive the process, ensure profitability and manage workflows within ChoiceLIVE.
What you’ll do:
- Able to position yourself as a leader within the Lighting Department and company to help the growth and development of the organization
- Create, manage to and maintain ChoiceLIVE Lighting Department
- Lead a team of lighting technicians to deliver the best product for the client, brands, and consumers
- Manage, train, and enforce operational process and ChoiceLIVE expectations
- Adhere to the ChoiceLIVE handbook and associated policies and processes
- Develop and maintain an effective team through hiring, training, motivation, and performance management
- Work with VP of Business Development, Sales Team, VP of Production Management, and Project Managers to perform thorough cost analysis reviews to maximize gross profit
- Assist the Project Management team in producing accurate equipment specifications and financials that support the scope of work for new proposals
- Proactively work with the VP of Operations and warehouse staff to effectively & efficiently prepare equipment for show site
- Able to translate the client’s needs into a complete lighting design, CAD drawing, rendering, and quotation document that is in alignment with ChoiceLIVE standards
- Create/distribute/execute lighting plots, truss plans, and any relevant patching/rigging plots
- Possess and can develop key vendors/partners related to our business so we are delivering the best product and pricing for our clients
- Able to lead large scale live events with multiple agencies, vendor, and client involvement
- Can apply best practices and learnings from previous projects to elevate the performance level of self and team
- Assist in sourcing event needs, equipment or labor, as needed
- Ability to patch, program and operate multiple lighting console and control surface brands and models
- Ability to troubleshoot and do minor repairs to conventional and intelligent lighting fixtures
- Perform and track general service on lighting gear and restocking expendables
What you’ll do on show site:
- Serve as the on-site lighting director/programmer for corporate events held in hotel ballrooms, convention centers, arenas, and event tents
- Ability to prep, set, supervise and operate mid to higher-level event scope without supervision
- Analyze lighting and rigging plots to identify issues and implement change
- Interface with production managers, technical directors, stage managers, and/or clients directly
- Implement design plans established during the preproduction process.
- Provide design ideas and solutions during on-site set up and rehearsals
- Responsible for safe and consistent operation of lighting instruments and rigging tools/instruments
- Ensure Special Events lighting needs are implemented and executed with the utmost professional attitude
- Hang, Focus, Patch, Program and Operate venue lighting instruments for live events in a safe, organized and professional manner
- Operate various lighting consoles and fixtures that may be owned or rented for any given live event
What you’ll need:
- Minimum 5+ years of lighting design/technology experience in corporate events, theater, TV, event staging, tours and or festivals
- Knowledge of event power distribution & rigging systems
- Ability to draft using Vectorworks and create supporting lighting plots, designs, and renderings
- Microsoft Office and Mac OS experience required
- Capable of working independently or leading any size team
- Ability to clearly and concisely communicate performance feedback verbally and in writing
- Must be able to travel with extended overnight and weekend availability
- College degree preferred
ChoiceLIVE is one of the fastest growing, fun and exciting event technology providers in the country. This upbeat company provides video, lighting and audio to events all across the country including concerts, political rallies, bike races, golf tournaments, graduations, rodeos and much more. Click here to view our work. We strive to be the best in our field, with the best people and the best technology the world has to offer. This is an exceptional opportunity for someone looking to prosper on a dynamic team with a small yet rapidly growing event technology company. The ideal individual should be flexible, hardworking and a team player.
Please send a cover letter and a detailed resume to explain why you think you would be a good fit for this position- RESUMES@choice.live.